Wednesday 27 June 2018

Reykjavik illustration progress

After doing a lot of research around Reykjavik I have pieced together a panoramic scene including several Christmas traditions. I had planned to release the illustrations in two parts - as Christmas cards - that can sit together as a complete diorama.


Lots of small elements from Icelandic folklore will be included in the scene. I may even approach the Icelandic tourism board as the illustration already looks like it could work as a Christmas map or art print. 


To wire together lots of details into the scene, I have continued creating line-based frameworks of the main architecture nestled into a two point perspective.


I have started cladding the buildings here with the famous colourful houses of Reykjavik.


The lighting and reflections in the Blue Lagoon immediately add atmosphere which is a trademark of my work. I have tried to flatten the colours of my work more but having a tangible quality is something I do not want to lose, and I achieve using soft gradients and changes in depth.


The scene will have the northern lights overhead, meaning a night scene will demand more contract and shade in the illustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment