Wednesday 3 February 2016

The Great Big Rhino Project Entry

This was my entry for The Great Big Rhino Project, for Paignton Zoo. I have loved working with Wild in Art and this brief struck me as an important and creative one that could summon all sorts of creative responses. My Rhino is called Elodie and following is my accompanying artist statement:



Elodie is named after one of the guards currently protecting the last remaining northern male white Rhino. Elodie is depicted in the image of the ancient woolly rhino - cousin of the Sumatran Rhino - and celebrates the legacy of the Rhino on earth, dating back 2 million years. The centrepiece is a mural of species that inhabited earth when the woolly Rhino first emerged in the Ice Age: the woolly mammoth; the dire wolf; the red lily. The design highlights the need to conserve such a great and precious creature, so here’s to another 2 million years!

No comments:

Post a Comment